[Coral-List] Large Area of Potential Bleaching - Cape Verde/Canaries

Alan E. Strong Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
Thu Oct 26 09:20:31 EDT 2006

A large area of warm water has developed over the past month around the
Cape Verde Islands.  Over the past few weeks it has evolved toward the
north and now encompasses much of the Canary Islands. It has developed
with a similar shape and timing as the 2001 bleaching event in that
location off Africa but appears a bit stronger this year than in 2001.
Degree Heating Week [DHW] levels have reached 9 to 11 in the Cape
Verdes, particularly on the north side of Sal and Santa Luzia and
southern shores of Fogo & Brava.  In the Canaries the most extreme
temperatures stresses (DHWs) appear to exist in the waters between
Fuerteventura and Gran Canaria where DHWs of 7 to 8 are presently
observed.  If we were providing alerts for this location we would be
noting that SSTs at this level of accumulations would most likely be
indicative of widespread bleaching at these locations.

Empirical evidence has shown that a DHWs of 4 or greater (e.g., 4 weeks
with 1 degree C above threshold) usually returns mild to significant
coral bleaching and DHW of 8 or greater indicates widespread bleaching
and some mortality.

 As previously indicated, the Caribbean 2006 event appears to have
peaked and presently is winding down with highest levels being shown
this year around the northern Lesser Antilles where DHWs barely reached
5 in a few locations.

In the central Pacific, the waters around the Kiribatias continue to
show quite high DHW levels (DHW = 13 just north of Nikunau -
177E/Equator) and SSTs surrounding Howland/Baker, 15 degrees of
longitude to the east, have reached DHW levels of 9-10.

Our 24 index sites around the globe can be found at:
 http://www.osdpd.noaa.gov/PSB/EPS/CB_indices/coral_bleaching_indices.html

Current HotSpot and Degree Heating Week charts, HDF data, and
GoogleEarth products can be found at:
 http://coralreefwatch.noaa.gov/satellite/index.html

Please reporting any bleaching events (or non-events) at:
 http://www.reefbase.org/input/bleachingreport/index.asp

--
Alan E. Strong, Ph.D.
  e-mail: Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
url: coralreefwatch.noaa.gov

E/RA31, SSMC1, Room 5304
1335 East West Hwy
Silver Spring, MD 20910-3226
301-713-2857 x108               Fax: 301-713-3136
Cell: 410-490-6602