[Coral-List] responses on "Coral Tumors?????"

shashank Keshavmurthy iamshanky15 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 30 18:43:04 EST 2006

Dear Esther
and everyone else who looked at those few
photos....

I agree with most of the listers on the
terminology...it needs to be put at least for a
while as Growth Anamoly.....till it is made sure
what really is happening out there....

the reason i posted those photos was that, it has
been seen for the 1st time in this part of JApan,
at least to my knowledge.....though many growth
anamolies and tumors have been reported from
Okinawan reefs....

I still dont know extent of its spread....is it a
temporary? also is hard to say...

I will be going again to the field after a while
and try to get a picture of the extent of its
spread across these coral communities....

But I am sure it is growth anamolies...If one
looks closely at the photos...one can see (i
think) mesentrial filaments hanging out of those
white structures....

I need to get some samples to get Histopathology
done....then may be i can for real know what it
is...

At present I am hoping that it is only present in
very few of these corals and is not
spreading....i dont want to see corals here being
affected like this!!!!!!

it really surprised me..since only problem corals
faced here was Acanthaster and Drupella, and now
if they are being affected by these
anamolies...then that would be a real problem....

Thanks for the great responses
Regards
Shashank

"the role of infinitely small in nature is infinitely large"-Louis Pasteur

Keshavmurthy Shashank
phD candidate
Kochi University, Graduate School of Kuroshio Science
Laboratory of Environmental Conservation
Otsu 200, Monobe, Nankoku-shi
783-8502, Kochi, Japan
alt. id: shashank at cc.kochi-u.ac.jp
phone: 81 080 3925 3889