[Coral-List] St Eustatius seeking Turtle Co-ordinator
Kalli de Meyer
kdm at telbonet.an
Fri Sep 1 07:45:54 EDT 2006
The Manager of the St Eustatius National Parks is seeking a Coordinator for
their sea turtle programme (see below for details). This is a full time (40
hours/week) contract for two years beginning in October 2006. The person
will be based on the island of St Eustatius in the Dutch Caribbean.
Please send CV and letter of application to Nicole Esteban:
manager at statiapark.org
SEA TURTLE PROGRAMME COORDINATOR: St Eustatius.
The Sea Turtle Programme monitors three species of nesting sea turtles
(Greens, Hawksbills and Leatherbacks) and has documented increasing numbers
of nests since 2002. The Programme follows WIDECAST protocols. The
Coordinator has responsibility of coordinating the entire programme and
principal duties include:
1. Prepare, schedule, organise and manage night and day patrols with
volunteers on four beaches.
2. Carry out tagging of all turtles observed nesting on the beaches.
3. Provide training for each new group of volunteers and to local
4. Conduct school education sessions and community presentations.
5. Manage all field data, including survey sheets, data entry and
6. Report writing for funding agencies and for St Eustatius National
7. Coordination of research projects in the Marine and National Parks.
The applicant must be a Graduate in a relevant science discipline. The
applicant should have the minimum following skills:
1. Patrolling, tagging (PIT and flipper) and measuring sea turtles.
2. Nest inventory, relocation and monitoring.
3. SCUBA diving experience.
4. Computer literacy and a valid driving license.
5. Team working and organizational skills.
6. Physically able to work outdoors and conduct night and day patrols
on sandy beaches.
Terms and Conditions:
Salary will depend on qualifications. A 4WD vehicle is reserved for turtle
programme activities and for personal use by the coordinator during nesting
season when it is not needed for the programme. Assistance will be given
finding accommodation. Health insurance is provided on island. Economy
return flight costs will be compensated (dependent on point of origin).
Appointment is dependent on provision of documents for a work permit
(including copies birth certificate, passport, medical certificate, police
certificate showing no criminal record in past 5 years).
More information about the Coral-List