[Coral-List] Caribbean Remains slightly warm

Mark Eakin Mark.Eakin at noaa.gov
Tue Sep 5 10:38:45 EDT 2006

Temperatures in the Caribbean continue slightly above normal.
Temperatures across the Caribbean and western North Atlantic remain
approximately 0.5-1.0 degrees C above the maximum monthly mean.  All
of our Atlantic index sites are at Bleaching Watch status except for
Lee Stocking Island in the Bahamas.  Caribbean temperatures continue
to be significantly lower than 2005 and just below the bleaching
threshold.  Only a small area near the panhandle of Florida has
accumulated Degree Heating Weeks.

We are cautiously optimistic that new bleaching will not be a major
issue in the Caribbean during 2006.

Our 24 index sites around the globe can be found at:
http://www.osdpd.noaa.gov/PSB/EPS/CB_indices/
coral_bleaching_indices.html

Current HotSpot and Degree Heating Week charts, HDF data, and
GoogleEarth products can be found at:
http://coralreefwatch.noaa.gov/satellite/index.html

Please reporting any bleaching events (or non-events) at
http://www.reefbase.org/input/bleachingreport/index.asp

Cheers,
Mark

------------------------
C. Mark Eakin, Ph.D.
Coordinator, NOAA Coral Reef Watch
Center for Satellite Applications and Research
Satellite Oceanography & Climate Division
e-mail: mark.eakin at noaa.gov
url: coralreefwatch.noaa.gov

E/RA31, SSMC1, Room 5308
1335 East West Hwy
Silver Spring, MD 20910-3226
301-713-2857 x109                   Fax: 301-713-3136