[Coral-List] Chances of bleaching in the tropical eastern Pacific?

Mark Eakin Mark.Eakin at noaa.gov
Thu Sep 7 14:52:20 EDT 2006

Yes, the forecasts call for a 50% chance of at least a mild El Nino
by the end of the year.  However, it usually takes a pretty strong El
Nino to cause significant bleaching in the eastern Pacific.
Unfortunately, we know that there is a problem with our climatology
in the regions around the 3 major Central American upwelling regions,
including the Gulf of Panama.  We are working on a new product suite
that will eliminate that problem, in part through the use of a new
climatology.  In the meantime, you should ignore the anomalies that
you see if the Gulf of Panama.  Our products are not valid for those
3 upwelling regions.

Cheers,
Mark