[Coral-List] Gulf (ROPME) warm water?

Fadlalla, Yusef H yusef.fadlalla at aramco.com
Sat Sep 16 01:29:23 EDT 2006

On the Saudi coast of the Gulf, there were three reports of fish kills;
all in enclosed bays.  A visit to one of the sites -northern Tarut Bay-
noted a fish kill near a sewage treatment plant outfall that releases
secondary treated sewage to the bay, as well as a landfilling project.
Color of seawater at the site was quite reddish, suggesting an algal
bloom that may have caused the death of the fish either directly
(toxicity), or indirectly (oxygen depletion).  In that last few years,
and in other same bay system, several fish kills were reported, all in
areas of high organic waste input and reduced circulation (landfilling).

We have not heard reports of coral bleaching along the Saudi coast this
summer (though it was warm this year), but that does not mean there were
no bleaching events.  However I recall that during previous major
bleaching events (summers of 1996 and 1998), fish kills were not
observed.

Regards,

Yusef Fadlalla