[Coral-List] New St. Croix ICON/CREWSStation Up & Running

Jim Hendee Jim.Hendee at noaa.gov
Sun Sep 24 18:50:43 EDT 2006

Greetings,

    The newly designed St. Croix ICON/CREWS station, within the Salt
River Bay National Historical Park and Ecological Preserve (National
Park Service), is now up and running.

    The complete data report is at,

    http://www.coral.noaa.gov/crw/crw_data_srvi2_All_12.html

with the additional shorter report due later this coming week.  This
station has all the standard meteorological data as before, only it now
also has an additional barometric pressure reading, relative humidity,
precipitation and hail (!).  The oceanographic sensors include sea
temperature and salinity near the surface and near the bottom, as well
as light (UV:  305, 330, 380nm; and PAR) above and below the water (near
surface and near bottom).  It also now as a more precise pressure sensor
as proxy for tide, in addition to the depth readings from the CTDs.  The
pylon itself is only 10" in diameter, but has been engineered to
withstand heavy seas and winds.  All data are transmitted once per hour
to a GOES satellite and then back to NOAA/AOML in Miami.

    We're also working on our newly designed application for data
integration and ecological forecasting for all our sites, but it will be
later this fall before that is ready for prime time.

    Cheers,
    Jim

 James C. Hendee, Ph.D.
 Coral Health and Monitoring Program
 Ocean Chemistry Division
 Atlantic Oceanographic and Meteorological Laboratory
 U.S. Department of Commerce
 4301 Rickenbacker Causeway
 Miami, FL  33149-1026

 Voice:  (305) 361-4396