[Coral-List] Areas of Potential Bleaching in Caribbean

Mark Eakin Mark.Eakin at noaa.gov
Tue Sep 26 13:45:14 EDT 2006

Warming continues in the area around the northern Lesser Antilles.
While it looks like the Florida Keys has probably dodged the bullet
this year, there is a strong potential for low-level bleaching in the
northeastern Caribbean this year.  We have begun to accumulate Degree
Heating Weeks in most of this region.  The good news is that we have
only now reached the level of temperature stress that we had reached
by early August in 2005.  That means that it is highly unlikely that
we will accumulate substantial thermal stress before temperatures
begin to cool.

Cheers,
Mark