[Coral-List] HotSpots and WarmSpots

Jim Hendee Jim.Hendee at noaa.gov
Thu Sep 28 09:40:21 EDT 2006

Hi, Tom,

    I think quite often it's the media who are misinterpreting or
misrepresenting the message that is sent out by NESDIS.  Mark Eakin's
recent messages via Coral-List (see the archives at
http://coral.aoml.noaa.gov/pipermail/coral-list/2006-September/date.html)
clearly have said that this year things are cooler in the Caribbean than
last year.  I have also seen (and been victim of) misquotes from the
media!  "Same 'ol same ol'" doesn't sell newspapers!  Also, the NESDIS
HotSpot tools do not claim to be the same concept you originally
envisioned, thus there is no need for them to follow your original idea
of one straight month.  They have just continued on with the concept
since the paper you wrote ten years ago, so of course they're going to
improve.  And besides, it's all so physiologically complex anyway--with
light, CDOM and winds all possibly playing a part, depending upon the
location--that the tool should only be considered just what they have
always claimed--that this is a management decision tool only.
Apparently their track record is pretty good, though I have not seen a
definitive history of hits/misses.

    Yours,
    Jim