[Coral-List] Areas of Potential Bleaching in Caribbean

Greg Challenger gchallenger at msn.com
Thu Sep 28 12:11:05 EDT 2006

I vote that terms intentionally meant to evoke an emotional response, either positive or negative, be avoided in science.  That said, I don't see how one term better describes a negative consequence over another, since they are essentially the same.  Since climate change is referred to as global warming, ocean warming is consistent and as Richard Grigg indicates it is entrenched in the literature.  The negative consequences are best described in detail rather than with a single word.  The use of single words to describe potential negative consequences may be best left to the media.  When they run out of superlatives we are all in trouble.