[Coral-List] Heron Island Research Station

Osmar Luiz Jr osmarjljr at terra.com.br
Thu Apr 5 17:32:12 EDT 2007

Coral Sea conflagration.
A fire at the Heron Island Research Station caused $12 million in damages
and destroyed 11 buildings.

Credit: Ove Hoegh-Guldberg / Centre for Marine Studies, University of
Queensland

Fire Flattens Island Lab
By John Bohannon
ScienceNOW Daily News

A fire at the Heron Island Research Station off the coast of Australia has
devastated one of the premier scientific facilities on the Great Barrier
Reef. Buildings, equipment, and data burned to ashes in a matter of hours.
No one was hurt in the accident, however, and researchers vow to get back in
action within months.
Located on an 8-hectare island 72 kilometers off Australia's northeastern
coast, the station has become a mainstay for research on reef ecology and
climate change. An outpost of the Centre for Marine Studies (CMS) at the
University of Queensland in Brisbane, the 50-year-old station hosts 1400
scientists, teachers, and students annually. An electrical fault sparked the
blaze at 4 a.m. on 30 March. Fanned by strong winds, the flames quickly
spread through the dry brush and the station's wooden buildings.

The station's laboratory manager, Kate Dunn, raised the alarm, and the 11
staff members on the island at the time--joined by staff from the nearby
Heron Island resort and the Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service--tried to
contain the fire. Their efforts were of no avail, even with an ocean of
water just a stone's throw away. Temperatures likely rose in excess of 2000
degrees Celsius, as everything but the buildings' metal roofs was
incinerated. "I always thought it was going to be a cyclone that would
present me with this scenario," Ove Hoegh-Guldberg, a marine biologist who
directs the station and CMS, told Science.

The fire gutted 11 buildings at the station and caused $12 million in
losses. Most heavily damaged were the island's newly built research complex,
the teaching facilities, several laboratories, and the cabins of four staff.
A large experiment on ocean acidification, which bleaches and kills coral,
was destroyed, says Hoegh-Guldberg. "It was really hard to believe that this
experiment, which took 12 months to design and build, is gone."

Still, it could have been worse, Hoegh-Guldberg says. Most of the long-term
data sets had been backed up. Also the island's boating and diving
operations and administration and researcher accommodation survived intact.
The station could be back in business within 2 to 3 months and in full
operation within a year, says Hoegh-Guldberg: "This tragedy hasn't killed
our enthusiasm or will to rebuild an even better station."

Related sites

a.. Heron Island Research Station http://www.cms.uq.edu.au/hirs/

a.. More about the fire
http://www.marine.uq.edu.au/Ohg/Heron_Fire_www/www.heron_fire.htm