[Coral-List] Clarification on Eligibility for NFWF Marine Debris Funding Opportunity

Susie Holst Susie.Holst at nfwf.org
Wed Apr 18 13:17:02 EDT 2007

As a follow up to our announcement for pre-proposals to the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation's Marine Debris Prevention and Removal Program, we would like to clarify the eligibility requirements for potential applicants based on some questions we've received since posting our announcement on April 2nd.

Work can be done internationally IF it can show a direct link to US/US Territorial waters.  So for example, if the source of 20% of derelict fishing gear (DFG) on the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands has been identified as likely coming from country X then a prevention program in country X would be eligible.  Also, if an applicant was proposing an new gear technology to prevent loss but was testing it internationally, as long as they were working with a US PI for knowledge transfer this would also be eligible.  Assessments and general implementation (clean-ups, etc.) in international waters would NOT likely be eligible as the link is indirect.

A link to direct impacts on US/US Territorial waters is a minimum eligibility requirement, however competitiveness of your pre-proposal will depend on other pre-proposals received as well as how direct and how great the connection is for impacts to US/ US Territorial waters.

Application deadline is May 18th, 2007. Please see the following link for more information about this program and the 2007 RFP: www.nfwf.org/marinedebris/.

Susie Holst
Assistant Director - Marine Programs
National Fish and Wildlife Foundation