[Coral-List] Sunscreen effect on corals

Kee Alfian keealf at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 5 00:19:59 EST 2007

Dear C. Kruer,

Yes, you are definitely right that maybe we should be focusing on the more 'Realistic' issue of threats to corals rather than starting on subjects which has small or maybe no affect at all. Most of the impacts on reefs are contributed to anthropogenic factors, which is already known through many research conducted on, divers impact, anchor damage, nutrient influx, sedimentation, and so on. But as for sunscreen lotion, many people has raise the question and there are many versions of the 'maybe' because nobody really look into it. Correct me if i'm wrong, bt in science, negative results is a result too, and nobody has proof it to have a negative or who knows, it might have positive affect on corals.

My purpose is not to condemn the use of sunscreen, just trying to raise the awareness of its affect (either good or bad) and propose a better way of using the sunscreen lotion. But hey..scientist always look at the darndest things :D...and i am just trying to be a good scientist :).

FYI, there was already research conducted on the parameters that you mention earlier, research did prove it has an impact to the reefs.
KEE ALFIAN ABD. ADZIS

Reef Ecologist
Marine Ecosystem Research Centre (EKOMAR)

Faculty of Science & Technology
National University of Malaysia (UKM)

Lecturer Trainee (DS45)
Marine Science Programme
School of Environmental & Natural Resource Sciences
Faculty of Science & Technology
National University of Malaysia (UKM)
MALAYSIA
http://www.ocean.ukm.my/kee

Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 11:41:30 -0700From: kruer at 3rivers.netTo: peck at hawaii.eduCC: keealf at hotmail.com; coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.govSubject: Re: [Coral-List] Sunscreen effect on corals
Sara,Maybe there's a reason that there is no research or no data on that subject.  It ranks right up there with swimmers urinating and microbes in wet suits as concerns of impacts to corals.  I'd suggest that research into direct anthropogenic impacts to corals focus on anchor damage, physical impacts of careless divers, trap fisheries that drop 40 lb traps onto coral and wrap poly line around them, illegal harvesting, dredging, siltation, groundings, etc.  Maybe if we could get universities and other programs  to bite the bullet and focus on difficult real world  issues we could gain some ground.  Just a thought.C. KruerSara Peck wrote:
I second that request.
If any one has done anything on this please let me know as well!   I
haven't found anything useful  and many lay persons here are saying
sunscreen is not good for corals but I don't know of or have any
solid research to refer to.
Happy holidays,
Sara Peck, UH Sea Grant College Program Coastal Resources Extension Agent