[Coral-List] Sunscreen effect on corals

Todd Barber reefball at reefball.com
Wed Dec 5 10:28:25 EST 2007

Hi Kee,

Actually, sunscreen may become more of an issue as seas continue to warm.
The Reef Ball Coral team has long had the policy that team members working
with fragmented corals can only use oil free sunscreen.  From mortality
rates of fragmented corals, we determined the oiled versions where
definately causing fragment death.

Although we did not scientificially investigate the causitive agent, we
suspect the oil reduced the dissolved oxygen levels in the coolers where
coral fragments are temporarily housed during handling and transportation.
The significance is that widespread sunscreen use....perhaps of cruise lines
or tours that put high numbers of indivuduals on a shallow reef could risk
causing or aggrevating coral bleaching on warm water days, especially when
waves and wind action is low.

We can report, however, that oil free sunscreens have not been linked to any
increased mortaility during coral fragmentation and planting which although
also not conclusive probably means the ingredients in suntan lotions (other
than the oils) are probably not harmful to corals at least in the short run
and especially when dilluted in the ocean.

Although Curtis is right to be thinking about the big picture, often times
there are local situation that need all the tools and information available
about corals to make good management judgements.

Thanks,

Todd R. Barber
Chairman, Reef Ball Foundation
www.reefball.org