[Coral-List] Looking for information about the association between groupers and sweepers (Michael Arvedlund)

Bruce Carlson exallias at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 10 20:42:34 EST 2007

Michael,

The grouper that you see in association with the Parapriacanthus
sweepers is Aethaloperca rogaa.  I was searching for sweepers for an
exhibit at the Georgia Aquarium and used sightings of the grouper to
direct my attention to locations where the sweepers might be found.
However, I also found that this grouper is not always found with
sweepers so if there is an association of some sort it is not
obligatory.  Another possibility is that the grouper is specialized
in some way to feed upon Parapriacanthus or similar fishes.

Bruce

On Dec 10, 2007, at 11:24 AM, coral-list-request at coral.aoml.noaa.gov