[Coral-List] WHAT CAN WE DO??

Judith Lang jlang at riposi.net
Sat Dec 15 16:18:19 EST 2007

Tom Williams raises an important question when he asks: "WHAT CAN WE
DO??," now that the risk from carbon emissions to coral reefs and
those who depend upon them for their livelihoods is receiving some
well-deserved publicity.

Here are a few suggestions for starters:
We CAN set a positive example for our neighbours and colleagues by
our daily choices of how much fossil fuel we consume, both directly
as a fuel and indirectly via our use of hot water, paper, plastic
bags, electronic trinkets, exotic foods, etc., etc.

We CAN minimize our long-distance work-related travel to that which
is really necessary to fulfill our research and educational needs or
commitments.

Those of us with some discretionary income CAN spend some of it on
carbon-offset programs: for example, planting trees in the tropics
where they will grow year round which also helps nourish impoverished
soils, and provides food, fuel or income for poor communities.

Cheers,
Judy Lang

Begin forwarded message: