[Coral-List] What can SCIENTISTS do??

Charles Delbeek delbeek at waquarium.org
Wed Dec 26 15:34:09 EST 2007

Douglas Fenner wrote:
>      I remind folks that the average French person produces one third the
> amount of CO2 as the average American or Australian.  It can be done.
> People are now saying that it would only take 0.1% of global GNP to solve
> this problem.  We spend more than that on stuff we throw away.  If society
> wants to solve this problem, it can be solved.  Let's get cracking.

Don't forget too that in Europe, public transport systems are much more
prevalent than in North America (think rail, metros, buses) plus many of
these cities were around long before the car was so they are smaller,
closer together and hence were easy to connect to each other. Also,
people ride bikes and walk more than they do in North America. In North
America cites are huge, distances between them are great, etc etc so
getting around is not as easy as in Europe. I saw a Frontline program on
urban congestion and srawl, using Atlanta as an example, they showed
newly constructed neighbourhoods with no sidewalks, all geared toward
the car. I read recently that the feds are going to start looking into
boosting the rail system in America ... 'bout time I say.

Doug's bang on with the gas cost observation, fuel prices have always
been higher in Europe and yes cars are smaller, but then so are the
roads in many locales across Europe. Then again, gas prices were always
higher in Canada than the US due to higher taxes, didn't stop them from
buying big American made cars.

Aloha!
Charles