[Coral-List] coral and anemones histology

Esther Peters esther.peters at verizon.net
Thu Feb 8 09:48:20 EST 2007

Dear Matheiu,

I don't think much has been done using transmission electron microscopy
of coral or anemone tissues recently, although I know of a couple of
U.S. graduate students using this tool in research on coral stress and
disease.  Much of the past work was reviewed and published in:

Fautin, D.G. and R.N. Mariscal (1991) Cnidaria: Anthozoa. Placozoa,
Porifera, Cnidaria, and Ctenophora. In Microscopic Anatomy of
Invertebrates, F.W. Harrison, et al.(eds.), Vol. 2: Placozoa, Porifera,
Cnidaria, and Ctenophora, pp. 267-358. Wiley-Liss, New York, NY.

To improve everyone's ability to study corals using histology, the Coral
Disease and Health Consortium (CDHC) convened a workshop of comparative
histopathologists in July 2005.  The report will soon be available in
PDF format (printed copies will be distributed later):

	CDHC Workshop: Coral Histopathology II

This document includes illustrations, photomicrographs, and descriptions
of coral tissues from diseased cases, as well as a glossary of terms to
use when describing the microscopic anatomy and pathology of corals.
The online Interactive Glossary of Actinarian (Sea Anemone) Anatomical
Terms (Tangey et al.) is also being updated, and many thanks to Daphne
Fautin's and Walter Goldberg's extensive assistance on the coral
glossary project!  Document availability will be announced on the
Coral-List soon (or contact Dr. Sylvia Galloway,
sylvia.galloway at noaa.gov, for more information).

The CDHC is also working on a manual of histotechniques for the study of
coral tissues, primarily using light microscopy, although some will also
be helpful for electron microscopy.  The draft manual is being
peer-reviewed now; it should be ready for publication later in 2007 (for
more information, contact Dr. Shawn McLaughlin, International Registry
of Coral Pathology, shawn.mclaughlin at noaa.gov).

Esther Peters, Ph.D.