[Coral-List] Hooray for Harold Hudson !

Multer multerg at infoblvd.net
Thu Feb 15 13:20:25 EST 2007

It was in l959 that I first met Harold Hudson and was very impressed
with his careful and correct interpretations of banding in corals while
working under Ginsburg at the Shell Lab in Coral Gables. I have often
wondered if those constant intoxicating fibreglass fumes that filled the
lab had anything to do with Hudsons and Shinns ablity to imagine,
create and successfully conduct early carbonate research in the Florida
Keys!

Hudsons paper (with Shinn, Halley and Lidz) on Sclerochronology in
GEOLOGY l976 followed by many others including co-authoring the l978
SCIENCE paper (with Emiliani, Shinn and George) on oxygen and carbon
isotopic growth records in corals are examples of recognized classics.
In addition for decades, as so well described by McManus (2/8/07 Email),
"his quiet contributions to coral reef science and restoration have had
a major impact around the world." This includes his well-known
underwater drill techniques and monitoring probes.

Lesser known talents of Harold include old bottle collecting and
exceptional treehouse construction skills.

An honorary doctorate for Harold has been long in coming but is very
well deserved. We look forward to his continued contributions.

Gray