[Coral-List] light wave lenght for algae and corals

Todd Barber reefball at reefball.com
Wed Feb 21 08:56:45 EST 2007

There are two peaks of phytosynethetic activity starting at 400 nm peaking
at 450 and droping off after 475  the next range starts at 650 peaks at 675
and drops off after 700

Coral zooanthellae use both wavelengths but deeper corals favor the 400-475
range so you might be best to try filtering out 650-700.

That all said, better water quality and the approriate stocking of
herbavores is the best approach to algae control in aquarium settings.

Thanks,

Todd R. Barber
Chairman, Reef Ball Foundation
3305 Edwards Court,
Greenville, NC 27858
941-720-7549 Cell
252-353-9094 Direct
Skype Toddbarber or Skype In (252) 557-1047, United States (+1)
MSN messenger reefball at hotmail.com
reefball at reefball.com (email address)