[Coral-List] Only two coral reefs in the world that have formedon the western side of continents?

Costen, Andrew Andrew.Costen at dec.wa.gov.au
Tue Feb 27 18:15:27 EST 2007

Hi,

There is significant near shore reef development along the west
Australian coast. These fringe the islands of the Kimberly and the
Pilbara and in some places, the coast line. Some are not biogenic,
others are. These near shore reefs tend to be dominated by turbid water
tolerant species but can have good coral cover and diversity.

There are significant clear water reefs around Barrow Island, the
Montebello Islands, the Abrolhos Islands, Scott Reef, Rowley Shoals and
of course Ningaloo.

I am working on a number of major develop projects that may impact these
reefs and would be happy to point anyone in the direction of literature
etc.

Regards,

Andrew Costen
Principal Marine Conservation Officer (Assessments) Environmental
Management Branch Department of Environment and Conservation
17 Dick Perry Drive, Kensington, 6152
Ph:089423-2246
Mob 0429882404
Fax (08) 93340140

Andrew Costen
Senior Marine Conservation Officer (Assessments)