[Coral-List] Inquiry: Remote sensing detection of zooxanthallae

Peter J Mumby P.J.Mumby at exeter.ac.uk
Sun Jan 21 15:35:12 EST 2007

Dear Andrew

To add to Eric's comments, you might want to look at the following papers.

1) For the current capability of remote sensing for coral reefs:

Mumby, P. J., W. Skirving, A. E. Strong, J. T. Hardy, E. F. LeDrew, E. J.
Hochberg, R. P. Stumpf, and L. T. David. 2004. Remote sensing of coral reefs
and their physical environment. Marine Pollution Bulletin 48: 219-228.

2) The reflectance of zooxanthellae see:

Enriquez, S., E. R. Mendez, and R. Iglesias-Prieto. 2005. Multiple
scattering on coral skeletons enhances light absorption by symbiotic algae.
Limnology and Oceanography 50: 1025-1032.

Unfortunately, both papers suggest that remote sensing cannot be used to
examine zooxanthellae density or clades.

All the best

Peter

Professor Peter J Mumby
Marine Spatial Ecology Lab