[Coral-List] New UN Resolution on the Caribbean Sea and submerged agendas

Thomas Goreau goreau at bestweb.net
Tue Jan 23 14:34:18 EST 2007

Dear Jim,

Thanks for posting this. The effort to get the Caribbean Sea
recognized as a special area is the result of a long diplomatic
process, whose subtext is not made clear in this document you posted.
It just repeats the usual formula of UN declarations that are so
vaguely worded that one is sure that they must mean something good,
but without being able to pin down just what specific actions and
benefits would result.  There is little mention of the global
warming, new diseases, and untreated sewage and agricultural wastes
that have killed almost all our coral throughout the Caribbean in the
last three decades, nor the measures needed to reverse climate change
and increasing populations and pollution that are driving this
catastrophic decline.

One reason it is so vague is that the major motivation behind this
effort is the intense traffic of toxic and nuclear wastes through the
Caribbean as well as oil. Naturally none of our countries want the
stuff washing up on our shores, but the countries sending and
receiving it don't want the traffic controlled, so there has been
enormous resistance to this declaration from countries outside the
Caribbean, and its passage required a feel good declaration that
lacks specifics. The only measure of its efficacy should not be how
much money gets spent, but how many more corals and fish we have as a
result of it.

Best wishes,
Tom

Thomas J. Goreau, PhD