[Coral-List] sea wasps [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Esther Peters esther.peters at verizon.net
Wed Jul 18 12:14:31 EDT 2007

Hi All,

The Caribbean box jellies are not as nasty as those in Australia, but
this depends on one's sensitivity to the toxin and how much one gets
stung ("dose makes the poison").  We were told when night diving in
Jamaica and San Salvador to shine lights as we surfaced to avoid them,
as they were near the surface at night, and to be sure to wear
protective clothing and hoods to minimize surfaces where tentacles might
contact skin.  I was told by a colleague that Netherlands Antilles diver
had been stung on her bare stomach and went into anaphylactic shock.  It
pays to be careful around these animals!

As a senior undergrad I did a research project on Cubozoa nematocysts
with Dr. Dale Calder at the South Carolina Marine Resources Research
Institute (way back when...D.R. Calder and E.C. Peters, 1975,
Nematocysts of Chiropsalmus quadrumanus with comments on the systematic
status of the Cubomedusae, Helgo. Wiss. Meeres. 27: 364-369).  He had
samples of formaldehyde-fixed box jellies of Chiropsalmus quadrumanus
and Tamoya haplonema, and I made squash preps of tentacles, manubrium,
"warts" from the bell surfaces, etc.  These animals have different
nematocysts on different structures and can be used to distinguish them
taxonomically, but the ones on the tentacles were striking in their size
(containing more toxin and larger, longer threads to pierce prey).
Years later I was swimming in the surf on a South Carolina beach and was
stung on my right calf.  The number of tentacles indicated it was C.
quadrumanus (T. haplonema had a single one on each corner, compared to
the five on each corner of C. quadrumanus - "four-hand-five-fingers").
The pain was intense, just like everything I had read about sea wasps, a
burning wire cutting into my leg.  I was able to hobble back to our
house for first aid and antihistamine, but it took months for the
tentacle marks to disappear, even with cortisone applied every day.

Which reminds me of another story, when beginning my doctoral research
in Puerto Rico, I met Chuck Cuttress (now deceased) at La Parguera.  He
had been studying cubomedusae reproduction and I asked if I could see
some swimming because I'd only worked with preserved ones.  He told me
he didn't have any in aquaria then, but I could go to one of the beaches
that is permanently closed because of sea wasps and get some.  I asked
"How?" and he replied I could just wade in and when they started
stinging me just scoop them into a bucket.  But I never did this!

A quick Google Scholar search shows that the Cubozoa are still studied,
particularly their light-sensing eyes (they prefer sandy bottoms and
surface at night), behavior, and stinging.  Caribbean species include
Tripedalia cystophora and Carybdea alata, C. marsupialis, maybe others.
  Anyway, they are a fascinating class of Cnidaria!

Esther Peters, Ph.D.
George Mason University