[Coral-List] sea wasps

Iain Macdonald dr_iamacdonald at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 19 04:27:25 EDT 2007

Dear Megan,

  Apologise for late response but as noboy has pointed you to this resource i thought i would:

  Just FYI globally the number of jelly (and others) blooms has seemed to increased, this has been "linked" to eutrophication, coastal development, "global warming" and predator loss.

  Although for sure such blooms can occur naturally for breeding purposes etc.

  There are increasing number of jellyfish related shutdown of power stations, nuclear fueled ships and petrochemical plants worldwide. They also play havoc with fish farms, fishing gear and close tourist beaches. They may not have a back bone but they can serious impact the global economy - estimated at 100's millions of USD.......

  I recently was luckily to attend the PICES one-day workshop back in November 2006 on jellyfish blooms. I wasnt so luck to make the 2nd International Jellyfish bloom conference held at Griffith Uni only a few weeks ago....... Kylie Pitt organised it.

  Some interesting refs

  PURCELL J.E. 2005. Climate effects on formation of jellyfish and ctenophore blooms: a review. J. Mar. Biol. Ass. U.K. (2005). 85, 461 – 476.

  JMBA Global marine environment 2005 (Summer) Issue 2 magazine (on-line) that has a number of good articles.

  Brodeur R.D. et al (1999) Evidence for a substantial increase in gelatinous zooplankton in the Bering Sea, with possible links to climate change. Fish. Oceanogr. 8:4, 296-306.

  Mills C.E. (2001) Jellyfish blooms: are populations increasing globally in response to changing ocean conditions? Hydrobiologia 451: 55–68.

  Lyman, C.P. et al. (2004) Interannual variability in abundance of North Sea jellyfish and links to the North Atlantic Oscillation. Limnol. Oceanogr., 49(3), 637–643.

  MASILAMONI, J.G. et al. (2000) Jellyfish ingress: A threat to the smooth operation of coastal power plants. CURRENT SCIENCE, VOL. 79, NO. 5, 567-569.

megan berkle <zennnnwoman at hotmail.com> wrote:

Dear coral-listers:

I am working in San Salvador Island, Bahamas for the summer. I was
night snorkelling on dump reef situated in Graham's harbor (north part
of the island). I was waiting for the soft corals to spawn until I
noticed a swarm of what appeared to be sea wasps. I thought this
might be an isolated instance. However, while diving in Rice Bay
(north part of the island) I realized the entire bottom of the bay was
covered with 100's of sea wasps. They seem to be concentrated in
shallow water (~10 feet) right above the sandy areas. Does anyone
know if these sea wasps are often seen in large numbers in Bahamian
waters? Are they as toxic as those found in the Indo-Pacific?

Megan Berkle