[Coral-List] Technical question about fixation of coral tissues for EM

Eric Borneman eborneman at uh.edu
Tue Jul 24 09:12:23 EDT 2007

HI Alina:

I used parformaldehyde/glutaraldehyde to fix and then left in in 0.4M
sodium cacodyllic acid and 4%NaCl as a wash buffer and then left it
longest in buffer. For me, the chelation with EDTA took way too long
to do in the field since I was using coral colony and not larvae -
but even after decalcification I left the tissues in a 0.4M phosphate
wash buffer. Once I started with osmium, I fixed for one hour with
trimmed samples and went immediately through dehydration steps into
propylene oxide so there was no time to let anything sit after
postfixation. I embedded with EPON 812 to prevent wrinkling of the
thin tissue (A. cervicornis, S. pistillata. P. damicornis). I'm sure
others do it differently or better, but I left parts of all species
in wash buffer for several days and the sections came out fine.

Good luck

Eric

Eric Borneman
Dept. of Biology and Biochemistry