[Coral-List] Tassled Scorpianfish in Bahamas

Annabelle Oronti oronti at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 24 10:03:15 EDT 2007

Hi Jon,

I work at the Cape Eleuthera Institute (www.ceibahamas.org) on South Eleuthera. I dive frequently on the reefs at this end of the island and the Spotted scorpionfish (Scorpaena plumieri) is a common sight. www.fishbase.org is a great website; I would recommend you search the database for the Spotted scorpionfish and see if this is infact the fish you saw. It blends in very well on the reef, and has numerous cirri on the chin and head.

We have also, unfortunately, documented many lionfish sightings down here and will in fact be doing some surveys in August.

Best,

Annabelle Oronti

Cape Eleuthera Institute
Eleuthera, The Bahamas