[Coral-List] Marking permanent transects in an MPA

richard west richardjwest at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 6 07:15:17 EDT 2007

Hi all

I'm a marine scientist currently working as a divemaster at a PADI dive centre in the Perhentian Islands in Malaysia. We are about to set up Reef Check to monitor coral reef ecology using dive shop customers here, I realise it's not perfect science but given the limited resources we have available to monitor the local ecology it's the best we can provide to make a difference and hopefully encourage more responsible diving from our customers.

I'd like to set up permanent transects on some of the reefs here but Reef Check suggest using concrete eyelets or steel posts to mark the start and end of transect lines. Given that the dive sites are beautiful and both chunks of concrete and steel bars will detract from their natural beauty and potentially upset the Marine Park Authority here, can anyone suggest a less intrusive method of marking my transects out which is likely to withstand the rigours of a three month monsoon season?

Thanks very much

Richard West