[Coral-List] Acropora palmata (Elkhorn Coral) Recovery After Hurricanes-coralivorus snails

Todd Barber reefball at reefball.com
Tue Jun 19 15:11:50 EDT 2007

Hi All,

We conducted a coral propagation and planting training program for the
National Marine Park(s) of Cozumel (and Cancun) last week in Cozumel.  As
part of the project, we surveyed the Dzu Ha beach area and only found one
acropora palmata colony in an area with many dead stands of acropora palmata
skeletons.  It was under heavy attack by coralivorus snails and looked in
rough shape.  In was not in a condition to provide stock for coral
propagation and planting.  Therefore we searched the whole south coast of
Cozumel along with knowledgable park staff and only found 9 additional
colonies.  We propagated and planted 32 fragments of the colony that
exhibited the least number of coralvorus snails.

We spread these colonies widely in the immeadiate area of the original
colony under attack.  Our hope is to recover many colonies but at a minimum
to spread out the coralvorus attack taking pressure off the remaining adult
colony.

My question is if anyone has done studies on coralivorus snails and Acropora
palmata who might have some advise for us in this situation.  We would like
to attempt a complete genetic rescue of all 9 original colonies but we don't
want to risk propagation stress without fully understanding the implications
of higher than normal coralivorus snail concentrations as a result of the
hurricane.

Thanks,

Todd R. Barber
Chairman, Reef Ball Foundation
3305 Edwards Court,
Greenville, NC 27858
941-720-7549 Cell
252-353-9094 Direct
Skype Toddbarber or Skype In (252) 557-1047, United States (+1)
MSN messenger reefball at hotmail.com
reefball at reefball.com (email address)