[Coral-List] tank experiments with corals

Matt Bjornson mbjornson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 09:58:31 EDT 2007

Monika,

It really is dependent upon which species you intend to keep.  Lighting
requirements for the Acroporids are much higher than many other species.
Could you be a bit more specific on which species?

Generally, there are a couple of options,

- Metal Halide, depending upon the lighting requirements of the corals you
intend on studying will determine the wattage, 175 - 1000 watts are
possible. The bulbs on the market today have various spectrums from 5500K to
over 20000k.  Which ballast you use will influence PAR and the end spectral
characteristics.
- Some form of florescent of which the most commonly used include T5, VHO,
Power Compacts  These vary in efficiency (T5 being the most efficient) and
cost.

Ultimately, it depends on which species you intend on keeping.

Thanks,

Matt