[Coral-List] sea cucumber disease

John Cubit John.Cubit at noaa.gov
Thu Mar 1 15:34:50 EST 2007

Megan --- We have seen epidemics of diseases with similar symptoms cause
mass mortality of other echinoderms (sea urchins and starfish) elsewhere
in the world.  When my colleagues and I tracked the great die-off of
Diadema antillarum through the Caribbean and into the Western Atlantic,
reports like yours were  helpful in documenting the pattern of spread,
which better fit a model of spreading contagious disease rather than
models based on chemical contaminants or other physical causes, per se.

If no one is working on this already, recording the timing and spatial
(including geographic) pattern of mortality for the sea cucumbers could
be a valuable learning experience for your students as well as providing
valuable data for persons investigating this disease or the population
biology of the sea cucumbers.  --- John

megan berkle wrote:

>   Dear coral-listers:
>
>   The   sea  cucumbers off  the  island  of  Rota,  N.  Marianas  island
>   chain appear  to  have  a  disease.   It  appears that there is tissue
>   necrosis leaving white spots all over their bodies.  Does anyone study
>   sea cucumber disease?
>
>   Megan Berkle
>
>   Marine Science teacher, N. Marianas Islands
>

>     _________________________________________________________________
>
>   [1]Dont  miss  your  chance to WIN 10 hours of private jet travel from
>   Microsoft® Office Live
>
> References
>
>   1. http://g.msn.com/8HMAENUS/2737??PS=47575

John Cubit, Ph.D.
Regional Resource Coordinator, Southwest Region
NOAA Assessment and Restoration Division, Suite 4470
501 W. Ocean Blvd.
Long Beach, CA 90802

John.Cubit at noaa.com
tel 562 980-4081
fax 562 980-4084

Cell phone (for urgent matters and travel contact) 562 810-4949