[Coral-List] Reef Check's Declaration of Reef Rights

Fernando A. Zapata fazapata at univalle.edu.co
Sat Mar 10 10:43:46 EST 2007

Jenny and list,

This may sound silly to some, but how can we coral reef scientists pledge
"not to disturbe, damage or collect corals and other reef organisms" when,
paradoxically, often that is exactly what we have to do to study coral reef
organisms in order to understand how these systems work and to produce
knowledge useful for their better conservation and management?

Fernando

Fernando A. Zapata
Departamento de Biologia
Universidad del Valle
Apartado Aereo 25360
Cali, Colombia

Tel. (+57-2) 321-2100 Ext. 2824
Telefax. (+57-2) 339-3243
Fax. (+57-2) 339-2440
E-mail: fazapata at univalle.edu.co

Grupo de Investigacion en Ecologia de Arrecifes Coralinos
Coral Reef Ecology Research Group
http://postgradobiologia.univalle.edu.co/Grupos/Arrecifes/General/general.ht
ml