[Coral-List] Reef Check's Declaration of Reef Rights

hreyes hreyes at uabcs.mx
Tue Mar 13 11:58:52 EDT 2007

To everybody in the list, just a question: how can any method useful for
social scientists et al, be helpful to determine the genotype of a
zooxanthellae or a coral, its reproductive activity, or sometimes even its
name or taxonomic situation (just to mention a few cases)? We should not miss
the point; reef scientists as a guild NEED to collect specimens for many
reasons, and will have to do it for a long time. This is completely
independent of management purposes and care for the environment; I am quite
sure that, for example, the people who first studied physiology of
zooxanthellae more than two decades ago did not start their work just because
of a careful consideration of the relevance of their research for managers
worldwide, after the bleaching events. Basic reductionist science (and
collection of specimens), is still absolutely needed.

Hector Reyes
UABCS, La Paz

>===== Original Message From "Galvis, Nohora H" <nhg3 at hw.ac.uk> =====
>Dear Fernando and Coral-List,
>
>Not necessarily to be coral reef scientist means to often disturbe, damage or
collect corals and other reef organisms in order to understand how these
systems work and to produce knowledge useful for their better conservation and
management.
>Hopefully, during the Second Year of the Reef  2008, at least coral list
members may start to plan less harmful methodologies (e.g. social sciences and
multidisciplinary studies) in order to produce useful recommendations for more
effective coral