[Coral-List] Multidisciplinary research is needed

Galvis, Nohora H nhg3 at hw.ac.uk
Mon Mar 19 13:04:57 EDT 2007

One of the objectives of environmental campaigns (such IYOR is to involve more people to get positive changes in attitudes and behaviours following the premise of thinking globally and act locally. More multidisciplinary research is needed as confirmed by the scarce participation in the Coral List of coral reef scientists with social academic background. The relevance of social sciences to improve coral reef management was stated in a Session on this topic athe 9ICRS co-organized by Leah Bunce and me, where I presented the preliminary results of the first assessment of management effectiveness by applying multicriteria analysis. In response to the request of Hector Reyes for more illustration of how can coral biologist benefit rom social methodologies, here is an example: before experiment design or sampling site selection it is more effcient (Less disturbance to coral reefs) to know geographical positions of sites where there are significant differences in frequency and intensity of human uses, in order to facilitate the results interpretation to provide useful knowledge for better management.

Nohora Galvis (Marine Biologist with academic background in ecological sciences from RSMAS, University of Miami, in Social sciences from ITC Holland, enviornmental economics and Policy Analysis Harvard University)

nohora_galvis at ecoportal.zzn.com