[Coral-List] knowledge-attitudes-behavior

Christopher Hawkins chwkins at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 23 15:17:41 EDT 2007

All:

  I have had several requests for literature related to a post I made earlier this week.  I will send those people what I have, but I thought folks might be interested in this recent article:

  Chris

  Society and Natural Resources, 19:447–463 2006

  Evidence of Biased Processing of Natural Resource-Related Information: A Study of
  Attitudes Toward Drilling for Oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge

  TARA L. TEEL, ALAN D. BRIGHT,
  MICHAEL J. MANFREDO, AND JEFFREY J. BROOKS

  Department of Natural Resource Recreation and Tourism, Colorado
  State University, Fort Collins, Colorado, USA

  The purpose of this study was to determine the extent to which individuals process natural resource-related information in a biased manner. Data were gathered using surveys administered to students enrolled in undergraduate classes at Colorado State University. Students’ attitudes toward Arctic drilling were evaluated both before and after they were exposed to exaggerated information about both sides of the issue. Consistent with initial expectations, respondents’ attitudes did not change as a result of exposure to new information. Respondents defended their initial attitudes in rating the quality of the information. Those who expressed initial support for drilling evaluated pro-drilling arguments more favorably and discounted anti-drilling arguments, while those in opposition to drilling tended to favor the antidrilling arguments in their evaluations. Evidence of biased processing suggests that the provision of factual information may not be enough if the goal of
 education programs is to change attitudes toward controversial natural resource issues.