[Coral-List] Intro + Questions

John McManus jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu
Sun Mar 25 15:21:17 EDT 2007

Hi Luis,

For your purposes I would recommend you read "Enchanted Braid" by Osha
Davidson, which is factual but reads like a novel, and the remarkably
inexpensive but superb "World Atlas of Coral Reefs" by Mark Spalding,
Corinne Ravilous and Edmund Green.

"Enchanted Braid" was written by an award-winning professional writer based
on literature research and interviews. I seem to recall that he missed the
fact that a few parrotfish actually do eat coral skeleton along with living
tissue, but the rest of the work was remarkably accurate.

Both books are usually available at Amazon.com.

Cheers!

John

John W. McManus, PhD
Director, National Center for Coral Reef Research (NCORE)
Professor, Marine Biology and Fisheries
Coral Reef Ecology and Management Lab (CREM Lab)
Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS)
University of Miami, 4700 Rickenbacker Causeway, Miami, 33149
j.mcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu      www.ncoremiami.org
Phone: 954-429-4814   Fax: 954-421-4910

  "If I cannot build it, I do not understand it."
              --Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate