[Coral-List] threats to coral from seismic testing

Steve Gittings Steve.Gittings at noaa.gov
Fri May 11 15:24:07 EDT 2007

If you're talking about airguns used for 3-d seismic, such an exclusion
zones would seem excessive.  I'm not aware of such zones.  I have been
in the water less that 1.5 km from a large multi-airgun 3-d survey and
while you could hear and feel, to some extent, the percussion, it
certainly didn't seem dangerous.  The power curve for airgun explosions
that I've seen, and the fact that they are low velocity explosions,
suggest fairly localized danger zones (a few meters) around the
discharges.  Beyond those distances, there would seem to be little
danger of direct damage to reefs or most organisms associated with
reefs.  As I recall, the Minerals Management Service funded some work on
the U.S. west coast on impacts.  Investigators were able to document
fish retreating for cover as the airguns passed over, but if memory
serves, no other impacts.

Airgun surveys have been conducted directly over the reefs of the Flower
Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary in the northwestern Gulf of
Mexico with no discernible effects.  There is, however, uncertainty
about the impacts of airgun surveys on the behaviors of animals that
depend on sound to communicate, such as cetaceans.  Some feel that they
may alter feeding or other aspects of life for these animals, but I
haven't seen any hard data on this.