[Coral-List] Impacts on coral and lagoonal communities of groundwaters ( phreatic) waters (lixiviats) from dumping grounds on high coral reef islands

Tom Williams ctwiliams at yahoo.com
Fri May 25 12:48:34 EDT 2007

Bernard

Primary elements is the amount of freshwater seiche on
top of the seawater groundwater.

Second element is water solubility of compounds:
nutrients/MTBE vs DNPL+LNPL

If coral sand beaches, then you get the saturation of
the upper beach area as indicated by septic/
anaerobic/ black-stinky sand beneath the upper 4-10cm
aerobic white sands.

Should also relate sugar plantations, septic tanks and
gas/petro stations in addition to landfills.

Unless the back-reef lagoon is very small or
restricted, exfiltration should generally be at the
top of the tidal range and mix with the on-coming tide
reworking.  No direct discharge to subtidal reefs
without reef tubes and a lot of freshwater rain
infiltration or very large/hotel septic tank
discharges.

Are you working on any specific location??  I have
some experience in Philippines, Indonesia, Sabah,
Saudi, and Marshall Islands..

--- Bernard-Armand THOMASSIN <ba.thomassin at wanadoo.fr>