[Coral-List] Coralline Algae Lethal Disease AKA Goreau's Disease AKA Algae White Disease

Thomas Goreau goreau at bestweb.net
Thu Nov 1 10:09:12 EDT 2007

Dear Ernesto,

OK. Thanks for the comments. I think your name is better than mine!
Sorry if there was any confusion. This came up because I was sent a
photograph from the Red Sea, in which Aldo, thanks to your training,
thought he recognized the syndrome, and I realized that I had been
working on this for some 16 years without ever letting anyone know
except privately. You and Dave Ballantine have done a great job
independently noticing this and doing much more than I could have. I
think it is important to get more information out, because now people
will see just how very common this syndrome is. There is hardly a
dive I have made in the last 16 years where I have not noticed it,
although I could only get images of few of them (camera broke years
ago, can't afford to replace).  One of the major role of the list
server is to get people aware of phenomena they may have overlooked,
and I think that we will now see an explosion of awareness on this.
So in that sense, I think it is very appropriate to alert the coral
reef community via the list server that this is something more they
should be looking for!

Looking forward greatly to your papers. I don't see much of the
recent literature, because I'm a fossil!

Best wishes,
Tom

goreau at bestweb.net
http://www.globalcoral.org