[Coral-List] Need old Elkhorn forest photos

John McManus jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu
Sun Nov 4 17:06:59 EST 2007

It was the "forests" of large Elkhorn in Florida and the Bahamas that first
got me hooked on reefs in the late 60's and early 70's. Now I am constantly
trying to describe what they used to be like. The photos of ancient ruins
and 1-2 meter modern colonies just don't do the trick. I remember seeing old
B&W photos of Elkhorn patches, some forming distinct, replicated patterns of
colony growth.

If anyone has digitized images of the old patches of large Elkhorn, I would
appreciate copies.

The best I've found online is a great painting by Ian Coleman at
http://www.colemangallery.com/Images/M08F_Hawksbill_Turtle.jpg, although
even those aren't like the ones that I used to swim through as they arched
above me.

Cheers!

John

John W. McManus, PhD

Director, National Center for Coral Reef Research (NCORE)

Professor, Marine Biology and Fisheries

Coral Reef Ecology and Management Lab (CREM Lab)

Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS)

University of Miami, 4700 Rickenbacker Causeway, Miami, 33149

j.mcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu      www.ncoremiami.org

Phone: 305-421-4814   Fax: 305-421-4910

  "If I cannot build it, I do not understand it."

              --Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate