[Coral-List] Need old Elkhorn forest photos

Dan Brumbaugh dbrumbaugh at amnh.org
Mon Nov 5 12:44:33 EST 2007

Hi John,

Depending on what you're after exactly, you might look for good images
of the Andros coral-reef diorama at the American Museum of Natural
History:
http://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/permanent/ocean/01_dioramas/aii_coralreef.php.
Designed and built from the mid-1920s to early 30s, this two-part
diorama (above and below water) conveys some of the complex
dimensionality of previous palmata zones.  More on the history of the
diorama is available through a low-res video feed at the URL above.
There's also a short essay at
http://www.discovery.com/exp/coralreef/museum.html.  Good images of the
diorama may be available through the AMNH, though I'd have to check on that.

Cheers,
Dan
> It was the "forests" of large Elkhorn in Florida and the Bahamas that first
> got me hooked on reefs in the late 60's and early 70's. Now I am constantly
> trying to describe what they used to be like. The photos of ancient ruins
> and 1-2 meter modern colonies just don't do the trick. I remember seeing old
> B&W photos of Elkhorn patches, some forming distinct, replicated patterns of
> colony growth.
>

> If anyone has digitized images of the old patches of large Elkhorn, I would
> appreciate copies.
>

> The best I've found online is a great painting by Ian Coleman at
> http://www.colemangallery.com/Images/M08F_Hawksbill_Turtle.jpg, although
> even those aren't like the ones that I used to swim through as they arched
> above me.
>

> Cheers!
>

> John
>

> John W. McManus, PhD
>
> Director, National Center for Coral Reef Research (NCORE)
>
> Professor, Marine Biology and Fisheries
>
> Coral Reef Ecology and Management Lab (CREM Lab)
>
> Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS)
>
> University of Miami, 4700 Rickenbacker Causeway, Miami, 33149
>
> j.mcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu      www.ncoremiami.org
>
> Phone: 305-421-4814   Fax: 305-421-4910
>

>   "If I cannot build it, I do not understand it."
>
>               --Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate

Dan Brumbaugh, Ph.D.
Senior Conservation Scientist
Center for Biodiversity and Conservation
American Museum of Natural History
Central Park West at 79th Street
New York, NY  10024-5192
tel: (212) 496-3494; fax: (212) 769-5277
email: brumba at amnh.org
Skype: dan.brumbaugh

CURRENTLY:
Visiting Scientist
National Marine Protected Areas Center, Science Institute
NOAA Fisheries Lab
110 Shaffer Road
Santa Cruz, CA 95060-5730
tel: (831) 420-3963; fax: (831) 420-3979

http://bbp.amnh.org/
http://cbc.amnh.org/symposia/archives/seascapes/index.html