[Coral-List] Old palmata and the new controversy over Mumby et al.

Les Kaufman lesk at bu.edu
Tue Nov 6 08:34:24 EST 2007

The best pictures I know of for the old Florida reefs (of many of our
childhoods) are those of Jerry and Idaz Greenberg.  It is their
pictures that are in field guides depicting Florida's former
underwater glories; perhaps these very guides are still being sold at
Park Headquarters.

Professor Goreau, you should send your comments to Nature, not just
to Coral List.  One advantage of Mumby et al.'s model is that it is
something that can actually be tested experimentally.  One way to do
this is across enforced marine management areas or zoning schemes.
Marine reserves (no-take areas) are ineffective in keeping out
bleaching, epizootics, or nutrients, but do cause there to be more
big herbivores when they are enforced.  What does our experience from
marine reserves say about this? They say that both nutrient levels
and grazing pressure can potentially matter.  So, we must ask: does
the herbivore effect as revealed by the marine reserve experiment
vary with nutrient levels?

The Marine Management Area Science (MMAS) Program is trying to look
at this, for example in Belize, where we are finding it revealing to
compare reefs inside versus outside of marine reserves, and bathed in
relatively high or low levels of influence by river outflows and the
Honduran Gyre.  Unfortunately the utility of such a design is
impaired by variation in the level of enforcement of the marine
reserves.  It would be good if we communicate to society that the
abiilty to know how much local conservation efforts can improve coral
reef health (or for that matter the health of any coastal marine
habitat) is dependent upon having a good network of marine reserves.
The role of marine reserves as adaptive management experiments is
usually at the very end of the list for having them.  In the long run
it may turn out to be their most important function- resource
spillover is nice but fleeting, while the certain knowledge that
either or both watershed and fisheries management will be good for
the reefs, is priceless.  It is worth substantial effort to transform
coastal management into an experimental, adaptive process.

Of course, if societies were willing to simply take reasonable
precautions, this discussion would be academic.  We would already be
doing everything possible on a local level to conserve coral reefs
and all of the services they provide us, and could then in good
conscience turn our attentions to global climate change and perverse
market forces.  At least the experimental approach can tell us the
value of local effort, and how to balance conservation efforts
between local platforms and the global stage.

Les

Les Kaufman
Professor of Biology
Boston University Marine Program
and
Senior PI
Marine Management Area Science
Conservation International

“I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully.”
George W. Bush
Saginaw, Michigan; September 29, 2000