[Coral-List] AFLP Technique for corals

Ben Greenstein BGreenstein at cornellcollege.edu
Tue Nov 6 09:19:34 EST 2007

My colleague Craig Tepper (Cornell Biology) and I have been
collaborating on a project involving Millepora. Craig is now in the
field and had this response to using AFLP to identify coral.

My advice is that AFLPs are pretty worthless in identifying coral.
The problem with the algal symbiont is only part of the difficulty.
That is why we switched to DNA sequence analysis using coral specific
primers.  Coral specific primers ensure that we are examining coral DNA.

**********************************
Benjamin J. Greenstein Ph.D.
Professor and Chair
Department of Geology