[Coral-List] Coral reefs and climate change at the 11th ICRS in Ft. Lauderdale, USA

Andrew Baker abaker at rsmas.miami.edu
Thu Nov 8 11:53:10 EST 2007

Dear Coral-list

We would like to invite your participation in Mini-Symposium 25: "Predicting
reef futures in the context of climate change: Is 500 ppm CO2 and 2o C of
warming the "tipping point" for coral reefs?" at the 11th International
Coral Reef Symposium (Fort Lauderdale, July 7th-11th 2008).

Please note that THE DEADLINE FOR ABSTRACT SUBMISSION HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO
15 DECEMBER 2007.

The central topics of this session are as follows:

1) What changes in temperature, CO2 and other physical environmental factors
relevant to coral reefs will occur over the next 100 years? Will some reef
regions experience less rapid change than others?

2) How will climate change impact coral reef biodiversity, community
structure, and ecosystem function and stability?

3) What scope is there for adaptation and acclimatization of reef organisms
and what might be the potential mechanisms, rates, and consequences of these
changes? How will we recognize these changes if they occur? To what degree
can adaptation or acclimatization accommodate the projected rates of change
in sea temperature, ocean acidity, and other enhanced greenhouse variables?

4) Will the biogeographic distribution of coral reefs shift in response to
climate change? Might we expect community changes as a result of taxonomic
differences in dispersal capability?

5) How will reefs respond to other factors that may be affected by climate
change, such as drying land masses, changing land use, intensifying storms,
and rising sea level? Will interactions between these factors be an
important aspect for reef science and management to consider?

6) What are the future trajectories for coral reefs given the latest
projects of atmosphere and climate over this century (e.g., the Fourth
Assessment report from the IPCC)? Are we fast approaching a "tipping point"
for coral reefs?

7) What are the big questions facing reef management and how can science
help identify or prioritize sustainable management options for coral reefs
in an era of rapid climate change?

If your research addresses any of these questions, we would like to invite
you to present a paper in this session. Abstracts can be submitted at the
conference website: www.nova.edu/ncri/11icrs

We look forward to your participation in this exciting and timely symposium.

Thanks

Ove Hoegh-Guldberg (University of Queensland)

Andrew Baker (University of Miami's Rosenstiel School)

Ove Hoegh-Guldberg

Professor and Director

Centre for Marine Studies

The University of Queensland, Australia

oveh at uq.edu.au

Andrew Baker

Assistant Professor

Division of Marine Biology and Fisheries

Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science

University of Miami, USA

 <mailto:abaker at rsmas.miami.edu> abaker at rsmas.miami.edu

___________________

Andrew C. Baker, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor

Division of Marine Biology and Fisheries

Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science

University of Miami

4600 Rickenbacker Cswy.

Miami, FL 33149, USA

Voice: +1 (305) 421-4642

Cell: +1 (305) 989-5488

Fax: +1 (305) 421-4600

Visit coral reef research programs at the University of Miami:

The National Center for Coral Reef Research: ncore.rsmas.miami,edu

The Pew Institute for Ocean Science: www.pewoceanscience.org