[Coral-List] artisanal fishing effort in East Africa, reply to Josh Cinner

Elizabeth Tyler ehtyler at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 14 08:00:38 EST 2007

Dear Josh,
Many thanks for your comments on 2nd Nov on artisanal fisheries in E.
Africa.
I agree that fishing depth will vary around the region based on many
factors, and that in Kenya, geography is probably the most determining
factor, as in other countries with shallow lagoons and fringing reefs ( e.g.
south Viti Levu, Fiji, as pointed out by Gwilym Rowlands).

Although I agree that fishermen are targeting a range of depths in Tanzania,
I would question whether they are actually *targeting* deeper areas. In
Zanzibar, where I worked, some of the commonly used gears (basket traps,
spear-guns and beach seines) often require fishermen getting in the water to
use/deploy them (without SCUBA), which therefore limits fishing depth.

It is also likely to be easier in general to deploy gears, target specific
habitat types and maneouvre boats in shallow water (fishermen often use
poles to get their sail boats to specific locations).

My belief is that this produces a situation whereby fishing is concentrated
at shallow depths (despite occurring at a range of depths), resulting from a
combination of preference (by reducing effort) and limitation ( e.g. fishing
method, breath-hold ability).

I would be interested to see any reports you can send regarding gear use in
Tanzania and your thoughts on the depths to which these gears are generally
deployed.

Regards,
Lizzie Tyler

--