[Coral-List] Seek for in-situ coral reef obs in the Galapagos from the past few months during a major anomalously cold event

coralreefwatch coralreefwatch at noaa.gov
Wed Nov 21 11:24:49 EST 2007

Our (NOAA Coral Reef Watch) satellite SST data show a major anomalously
cold event occurring in Galapagos during the past few months. See our
SST time series at
http://coralreefwatch.noaa.gov/satellite/current/sst_series_galapagos_cur.html.
This cold episode started around March of this year and lasted more than
half a year as a result of the La Nina event. Our concern is mainly for
the period of August, September, and October. This year's SST at our
Galapagos Virtual Station during these three months were constantly more
than 3 degrees C below the lowest monthly mean SST climatology (normal
cold season) and continue to be below normal. Such anomalously cold
conditions may have adverse impact on the coral health in the region. We
are seeking any observations on the coral health in the Galapagos during
the last three months, including report of cold-water bleaching or
mortality. It is likely that such negative impacts of the cold
conditions would still be visible at present.

We would like to hear from you regarding any observations.

NOAA Coral Reef Watch
(coralreefwatch at noaa.gov)