[Coral-List] Porites Line Disease

shashank Keshavmurthy iamshanky15 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 26 00:12:59 EST 2007

Dear Tom and the listersIt is true that lost of Porites species is being affected by this line disease.  I just came back from the 10th Japanese Coral Reef Society Meeting and there was a presentation on the Porites ulcerative white spot disease, but as I could see, most of the photos showed what Tom mentions Porites Line Disease, with clear white, or Pink or even some blue lines.....
It is being seen in Porites cylindrica in Ishigaki Islands, Okinawa.  I feel that the mistaken identity of ulcerative white spot disease is nothing but pre-Line disease symptom, which has progressed to the line disease.
But definitely there is a presence of the line disease in large number of Porites cylindrica in Okinawa...
As I understood from that presentation, histopathological and microbiological work is being carried out, but results are yet to be seen and I do not know when that will be possible.....

Regards
Shashank

"Role of Infinitely Small in Nature is Infinitely Large" - Louis Pasteur
Keshavmurthy Shashank
Research Student, Graduate School of Kuroshio Science
Laboratory of Environmental Conservation
Kochi University, Monobe Campus, B 200
Nankoku, Kochi, 783-8502, Japan
Mobile: 81 08039253889
My WebPage: http://web.mac.com/coralresearch/iWeb/shashank/Welcome.html