[Coral-List] Posting Links to Copyrighted Material

Jim Hendee jim.hendee at noaa.gov
Wed Nov 28 07:28:38 EST 2007

Greetings,

    Recently some authors have made reference to their Web sites for
researchers to download their published material.  I have been not so
gently reminded by a well know journal's Editor that posting copyrighted
material is against the agreement of many (if not most) journals, and I
can't blame them for being upset  (if you're an author who's ever
received money for your published work, you can certainly understand!).
Though it's not my business to be a copyright cop, I really don't want
to get in the middle of this (I don't intend to track down every posted
Web site), and I'm sure you don't, either, so I would just advise that
you PLEASE review carefully your contracts before posting to Coral-List
any links to your articles posted on your Web site.  This is not to say
don't post the reference itself--we would all dearly love to continue to
see you do that--just be sure you abide by your publisher's rules.

    Thank you, and keep on writing and publishing!

    Sincerely yours,
    Jim
    Coral-List Moderator

 James C. Hendee, Ph.D.
 Coral Health and Monitoring Program
 Ocean Chemistry Division
 Atlantic Oceanographic and Meteorological Laboratory
 U.S. Department of Commerce
 4301 Rickenbacker Causeway
 Miami, FL  33149-1026

 Voice:  (305) 361-4396