[Coral-List] Adaptation

James Cervino PhD. jcervino at whoi.edu
Tue Oct 9 11:52:44 EDT 2007

Hi John, You said "Inability of larvae to cross freshwater outflows" however,
dont you agree that the number one hindrance of "progress in terms of fitness
and adaptation" is due to the persistantance of HEAT stroke induced bleaching
in the next decade.

There will be no pot of gold here in terms of movement to a higher
latitude....as they will not escape the catastrophe that is awaiting. We need
to be calling for massive cuts in emissions of heat trapping gasses at this
next Symposium as there is no MPA on this planet that will protect them if we
dont address the true threat to reefs, which are greenhouse gass emissions and
the pollutants that are spewing off our coasts into reef habitats.

Cheers, James

Dr. James M. Cervino
Pace University & Visiting Scientist
Woods Hole Oceanographic Inst.