[Coral-List] Fertilizing the ocean - disillusionment

Jim Hendee jim.hendee at noaa.gov
Fri Oct 12 13:30:25 EDT 2007

One thing about our Mailman software for reviewing coral-list messages
is that the preview part of it only allows for me (and Lew) to review
the first part of a message.  So, if I review the first part and it
looks harmless, I'll approve it; if it looks like it may be
questionable, I forward it to my email so I can read the whole thing.
As you well know, that has sometimes been an embarrassing mistake when
the latter part of the message transgressed and I forwarded it thinking
it was okay.  It happened again here, with Chris Hind's message and his
colored language, and I apologize (though some of you who hold similar
view were probably applauding out there).  Yes, I know, we all talk like
this quite often in person (especially me), but you can't do that on
this listserver.

Folks, please try to get your message across with aplomb, decorum, facts
and a well crafted narrative (including proper spelling and grammar,
e.g., Miami instead of "miami"), okay?  And if any of you are so
discouraged with things the way they are and don't have the will and
strength and vision to see through to a better world coral ecosystem,
and all you can do is complain, complain, complain without offering
solution ideas, leave the team and go do something easier--most of the
other 4,300 of us would appreciate it.

Thank you.

    Jim